Thursday, February 6, 2014

Surprise

So far the play that we have been reading in English (The Importance of being Earnest by Oscar Wilde) is actually pretty good. I can say that I was surprised that I actually laughed out loud when I read part one. I wasn't expecting that sort of writing to contain any humor, especially the kind that would make a modern person like me laugh. I would think that the way it was written would deter me from catching onto any humor, sure I might recognize when characters thought something was funny, but I wasn't expecting anything that would make the reader or I guess the observer (considering it’s a play) laugh. When I first started reading it I felt like it was too simple, that I must not be catching all the hidden meanings, but I guess I am still caught in the same mind set that I was when I read Shakespeare’s plays. Being able to understand practically immediately almost everything I read definitely makes this play more enjoyable to read. I am hoping that the rest of the play will become even more comical. This book is like a breath of fresh air considering all the drama we have previously read, and I hope it stays that way. If it does I know I will continue to enjoy this play.

No comments:

Post a Comment